A couple days ago, I started the
book The Story of Stuff by Annie
Leonard. It is mainly about the overconsumption of resources on our planet and
its effect on places around the world. Throughout the piece the author also
presents thoughts on solutions to these problems. In the beginning, she talks about
our three most basic resources—trees, rocks, and water—and
the ways they are overconsumed. Because Leonard is an environmentalist, she
wants us to feel attached to trees, rocks, and water even though they are so
plentiful around the world. For each one, she uses certain techniques to make
us share her opinion that we need to work on saving our resources.
In her section about trees, Leonard
shares her personal experience with forests in her childhood. To avoid
confusing readers with the complicated issues of cutting down trees, she
explains her appreciation of forests when she was a kid to show the most
obvious reasons forests are worth saving. “One big reason I loved forests was
the many animals that lived in them,” she writes. “Forests provide homes for
about two-thirds of the species on earth.” She follows that with examples of
examples of animals like parrots and monkeys. This connects us to trees because
animals are very likeable and we would hate to see them disappear by
deforestation. As a kid, I can relate to the author’s childhood as I also am an
animal fan. Another thing the author does to connect us to trees is show the
mind-boggling numbers on the rates at which our forests are being cut down.
“Globally, we’ve been losing more than 7 hectares a year or 20,000 hectares—almost
50,000 acres—a day.” And to make it more reader-friendly, she provides a
comparison to give us a picture on how many trees we are losing: “This is
equivalent to an area twice the size of Paris each day, or about 33 football
fields worth every minute.” Just thinking about how we lose a football field of
trees every two seconds gives us a great understanding of the rapid loss of
trees and is persuasive enough to make us strongly consider her opinion.
In the next section, to give a
picture of the importance of water, Leonard compares water from a strong,
healthy forest to the water from a clear-cut forest. The water from the intact
forest was clear, healthy, and free of chemicals. The water from the clear-cut
forest was the opposite: “The rivers below a clear-cut were cloudy, full of
muck and debris, with fewer fish, bugs, and life of any kind.” Now that we know
how much deforestation there is, we can imagine all of the rivers and water sources
that are contaminated in those clear-cut areas. The author also connects the
water in these forests to us. “The rivers in the North Cascades feed multiple
watersheds from which Washington state’s population draws water for drinking,
washing, and irrigation,” Leonard writes. “The health of those rivers impacts
the health of bodies of water—as well as bodies of fish, birds, and
people—hundreds
of miles away.” Now that we have a connection to these rivers and animals, we
naturally feel a little more concerned about our water.
In the section about rocks, Leonard
does something different to sell us on her ideas. She takes a simple piece of
jewelry—her
small, gold ring—and explains its history. She starts by theorizing that the ring
came from South Africa where a good portion of the world’s gold comes from.
Then she presents a very surprising fact about the background of her ring.
“Mining enough gold for just an average gold wedding ring creates about 20 tons
of hazardous mining waste, which is dumped in rivers or the sea, or sometimes
just left right where it was created, as I saw in South Africa.” By presenting
this fact, she gets readers thinking about how much mining waste is produced for
small pieces of gold jewelry, and how gold should rarely be purchased. This
directly relates to her opinion that resources should be conserved. After that,
the author explains the long and complicated process of extracting gold and all
the various toxins, like cyanide, that are spread into the environment. By detailing
all the damage that one gold ring can do, she gets the reader to agree that we
should be making and buying less gold.
In conclusion, the author uses facts,
comparisons, and personal experiences to prove her point that we need to conserve
our trees, rocks, and water. For the rest of the book, I expect more references
to those trees, rocks, and water that she wants so much to conserve. Just the
beginning of this book has taught me a big issue in our world of which I was
barely aware.
I really liked this post. It was really interesting to see what you had to say about the book, especially because it was a book talked about a lot in my Science Class last year. One thing that stood out to me most was that your quotes were really good. I think your quotes really showed what you wanted them to show, so it was easy to get an idea of craft moves that the author used. I think using good quotes really makes writing about the craft moves a lot easier, as you can have an easier time explaining the quotes. The one thing that you may want to do a bit more of is saying what you thought about the book. Do you agree, with some things or disagree? Do you think the author should have mentioned (or not mentioned) something.. etc. Overall though this was thoroughly enjoyable to read.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your compliment. To answer your question, at the time I was at that part of the book, I had not reached a personal opinion or conclusion about the views the author presented. The book had just begun and many new concepts were thrown at me and I was primarily focused on simply understanding the writing.
DeleteWhat I have noticed though, is the author seems to he paranoid about toxins or chemicals that are 99.9% percent of the time ignored. But to counter that, the is so much information she uses to persuade us and support her argument it seems less extreme. As I continue reading I will eventually form my own opinion as well
Delete